Position Title: Volunteer Specialist (Tier 1)
Location: Kanab, Utah
Reports to: Sanctuary Volunteer Specialist. Team Lead
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Best Friends Animal Society is at a point in its development where it's operating as a Service Enterprise, engaging volunteers in order to more effectively address the needs of the organization. We are fulfilling our vision of strategic, innovative and collaborative volunteer engagement integrated into all areas of the organization. Our program success is allowing us to be a role model for Network Partners and others, as we lead the way in revolutionizing volunteer engagement in animal welfare.
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is located 5 miles from the town of Kanab, UT and is a life-saving haven for nearly 1,600 adoptable animals. The Sanctuary hosts over 10,000 volunteers annually. Upon arriving at the Sanctuary, volunteers are greeted by friendly, knowledgeable employees. The volunteer specialist is part of the team who ensures that all Sanctuary volunteers have an exceptional volunteer engagement experience and demonstrates understanding of the link between Best Friends culture and mission and the important role it plays in helping to inspire and influence volunteers to continue in our lifesaving work to Save Them All.
This specialist is often the first impression of Best Friends in a public relations capacity through phone, email and face-to-face interactions, and must exhibit excellent communication skills, a high-level of enthusiasm, professionalism and provide superior customer service in all situations. The volunteer specialist also works closely with other Best Friends staff to fulfill volunteer needs and deepen volunteer engagement cross-divisionally.
- Serve as the initial and primary contact for responding to volunteer inquiries and guiding volunteers through the account creation, trip planning and onsite engagement process for over 10,000 volunteers per year.
- Responsible for performing all duties associated with Sanctuary volunteer engagement activities including but not limited to answering phone calls, assistance with volunteer account creation and shift sign up, communicating our processes and policies, providing directions, and contacting and coordinating with other Best Friends departments on the volunteer's behalf.
- Greet all volunteers in a warm and inviting manner, while engaging them in conversation and sharing information about the Sanctuary during their volunteer check in.
- Assist the Volunteer Engagement Manager, Team Lead or other departments with coordinating and managing volunteer related events, activities and opportunities such as seasonal Welcome Waggin' social, and volunteer appreciation activities.
- Assist with local volunteer engagement program.
- Be informed about Best Friends national programming, events and initiatives and educate volunteers on why it's important and how to become active in their home communities to help Save Them All.
- Establish positive, meaningful, relationships with new volunteers to encourage continued connectivity to Best Friends and deepen relationships with the local and frequently returning volunteers to strengthen their commitment to Best Friends.
- Collaborate with the Department Manager and Team Leader in the development of volunteer engagement strategies to support organizational needs.
- Evaluate departmental processes and procedures and provides recommendations for areas of improvement.
- Collaborate with other departments and divisions to ensure that volunteer policies and procedures support Bests Friends Strategic Plan.
- Help with volunteer social media activities.
- Identify and share ideas for inspirational volunteers stories to be used as Thursday lunch stories and/or by Best Friends editorial and media teams.
- Become cross-trained as an Animal Area Volunteer Coordinator to provide coverage if/when needed.
- Become cross-trained within other areas of the Volunteer and Visitor Engagement Division.
- Participate in Best Friends immersion days, job shadowing sessions and trainings in the animal care areas and other areas as determined to gain a better understanding of how each area functions and how it relates to the volunteer experience.
- Adhere to Best Friends and Sanctuary Volunteer Department policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Genuine passion for Best Friends' mission with the ability to advocate on behalf of Best Friends' position on issues and to effectively represent our message of compassion and respect for all living creatures.
- A team player who works energetically and enthusiastically with other staff toward a common vision and goals.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills: personable, professional, and positive.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills with a demonstrated proficiency in prioritizing tasks and juggling multiple, competing demands.
- Exemplary communication (verbal & written) and listening skills.
- Ability to make quick decisions using sound judgment.
- Ability to maintain a calm and understanding demeanor and be an efficient problem solver in high stress, emotional, confidential and sensitive situations.
- Previous customer service experience a plus.
- Previous work with volunteers and volunteer management systems preferred.
- Proficient computer and technology skills a must Microsoft Office and Google Docs preferred. Must be a quick learner when it comes to using new technology and equipment.
- Willingness and ability to work weekends and holidays.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation.
- Extended periods of time sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Standing for short periods of time.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.