Do you believe in a better future for all living things? We believe in a world where all people respect, value and conserve wildlife and wild places. Join our team of animal care professionals in our mission to create memories worth repeating for our guests by inspiring connections to the amazing animals in our care that will create meaningful and lasting change in our world.
At Newport Aquarium it is our goal to bring families closer together and to create memories worth repeating. Our Core Values greatly exceeding guest expectations, serving others, creating emotional connections, constantly improving give us purpose and guidance.
The position requires a highly motivated individual who will work in a team setting and take direction from their manager(s) in carrying out the daily husbandry responsibilities for an assigned area. The position is responsible for adhering to all aquarium safety protocols, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) accreditation standards. Preference will be given to candidates who have previous full-time husbandry experience with sygnathids and/or tropical freshwater invertebrates.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides care for all specimens in assigned area through proper husbandry protocols involving daily observations, feedings, water quality monitoring, and life support system (LSS) operations
- Ensures guest satisfaction by maintaining exhibits through daily maintenance
- Keeps support areas clean, organized and safe
- Complies with all SOPs pertaining to daily operations and safety
- Maintains records in accordance with protocols or as directed
- Provides coverage of other biologists and areas as assigned
- Cross-trains with other staff within the department
- Promotes conservation, animal welfare, and good stewardship in daily tasks
- Ability to support our public relations and outreach strategies by working with the media to showcase our collection
- Identifies and resolves problems with minimal assistance
- Mentors and supervises husbandry interns and volunteers
- Undertakes special projects as assigned by manager(s)
- Organizes and oversees fish purchases for exhibits in assigned area
- A four-year degree in aquatic sciences, biology, or related field
- Three to four years of full-time husbandry experience from an accredited AZA institution or equivalent
- One to two years of husbandry experience with various Cnidarians including jellies and various coral species
- Advanced understanding of LSS theory and operation as it pertains to jelly systems and coral reef systems
- Excellent observation and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ethics that generate and sustain a positive team atmosphere and professional environment
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel if necessary
- Advanced certification from a recognized S.C.U.B.A. training organization or the ability to obtain advanced certification within one year from hire date
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays. Ability to respond to emergencies when needed
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Successful completion of pre-employment drug screening and SCUBA dive physical
- In good health and capable of performing strenuous and/or heavy physical labor
- No history of allergy related to animals or plants, which might interfere with ability to work
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time, climb stairs, bend and stoop
- No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance and agility of movement which might interfere with ability to work
- Physical strength, including the ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Immunocompetence (possible exposure to infections and parasitic disease)
Note: Position will involve exposure to inclement weather, dust, potentially dangerous and unpredictable animal species, and potential dangerous machinery, restraint devices and toxic chemicals and/or drugs. Occasional use of protective clothing or equipment is required e.g. goggles, mask, gloves, and gowns.
YOU CAN EXPECT:
You can expect to work on projects that have never been done before ideas that are unproven, and concepts that make people smile. You can expect to have fun and be treated with respect the minute you start…and through to the end. You can expect to work in an environment that is highly innovative and low in politics truthful and filled with smart people!
And most of all, you can expect to work hard and make a difference in our world by helping to bring families closer together.