Under the direction of the Food and Beverage Director, works on a collaborative team with other Assistant Directors in overseeing the Food and Beverage outlets, resort events, festivals and conference services for the resort, to achieve all business and financial objectives.
Position Functions / Areas of Responsibility
Snowbird Resort Food & Beverage Division is comprised of 3 operating units:
- On-Mountain Self Service Outlets, Summer Events, Cafeteria, Fast Food, Festivals & Special Events (The Summit, Midgad, Creekside Café & Grill, Rendezvous, Tram Car Pizza, Baked & Brewed, along with Oktoberfest, Brewfest, all other special events requiring facility or catering services)
- Full Service Restaurants and Lounges (The Aerie, Forklift/Birdfeeder, The Lodge Bistro, Wildflower, Steak Pit and Room Service)
- Conference Services and Banquets (Facilities, Banquet, Event Technology, Banquet Kitchen & Bakery, and The Atrium/Superior Snacks)
This position will start by overseeing the on-mountain, self service outlets, summer events and also support kitchen operations as part of the food and beverage management team. The Assistant Directors will work closely together and cross train in each operating unit.
This position will be expected to support and develop the outlet managers and work teams in providing consistently high-quality food and guest service within their assigned areas of responsibility and also assist the other Assistant Directors with their areas of responsibility. Also work together to achieve overall division business and financial goals, develop and retain a high quality and cross trained staff to meet the ongoing needs of the various outlets and operations.
As part of the Division’s management team:
- Oversee day to day operations of the Food & Beverage division guiding and supporting outlet managers with selection and training, shift scheduling and job sharing, and performance management of staff; purchase and control of inventory;
- Develop menus and food and beverage marketing strategies.
- Respond to guest inquiries and coordinate special arrangements and requests.
- Oversee food and beverage budgets and controls.
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Resort Food and Beverage.
- Develop outside contacts with vendors, food representatives.
- Must have the ability to work well with all departments and work without supervision and must be able to maintain a high level of interdepartmental confidentiality.
- Provide training, feedback, instruction and direction to restaurant management staff.
- Support and leverage staff within the various restaurant outlets and the other Resort Food & Beverage Departments (Conference Services and Counter Service, Events and Festivals).
- Work with managers and chefs to develop quality, cost effective menus, facilities, budgets and staffs.
- Ensure that all outlets directly under the position are meeting budgeted expectations.
- Participate in planning, organizing and supervising of charity events and Food & Beverage promotion.
- Must have the ability to interact at any time with guests and other employees in a pleasant manner and maintain good working relationships with others and all departments at Snowbird.
Education & Experience Requirements
- 5-7 years of Food and Beverage operations management, with oversight experience in Multi-Operation restaurants (minimum of 4), and at least 2-5 years’ experience in an Assistant Director level position
- Proven success in developing team & staff retention, displaying strong training skills/leadership skills, and should understand seasonality.
- Prefer candidate with experience in Forbes/ 5 Star ranked resorts.
- Prefer candidate with conference services experience, and a mindset of problem solving.
- Must be a hands-on leader.
- Prefer candidate with culinary background, kitchen experience, menu design.
- Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality or related subject matter, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task and work under pressure, superior leadership and communication skills.
- Implement effective controls of food, beverage and labor costs and monitor the food and beverage budget to ensure efficient operation and that expenditures stay within budget limitations, including achieving budgeted revenue and labor expenses. Maximize food and beverage profitability.
- Investigate and resolve food quality and service complaints. Good written and verbal skills are also required. Thorough knowledge of safety and health regulation.
- Must be able to set specific steps in order to increase customer service in all outlets, and monitor results/training needed in order to get there.
- Proficient computer user, with at least an intermediate to advanced user of Microsoft programs such as Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point. Knowledge of Squirrel and Delphi preferred.
- Candidate will have to be flexible with hours and assignment as directed by business level.
- Must be able to Ski or Snowboard
- Shifts vary, may be early morning or late evening, weekends, holidays, depending on business levels.
- Compensation and Benefits
- Salary DOE
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience and performance, plus bonus. The base salary and bonus are part of a comprehensive compensation package, which includes but is not limited to, 401K with a match, full health insurance, life insurance, vacation/holiday/sick pay, and skiing benefits for the selected candidate and their family. The full compensation package will be reviewed with final candidates.
- Must be prepared to stay overnight if necessary on occasional times of road closures.
- May experience unusual stress from high business volumes, deadlines, continual work with public, winter conditions, snow night requirements and commuting to/from Snowbird.
- Must be able to lift 25+ lbs.
- Must be able to carry trays and other items needed for service.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must demonstrate ability to bend, kneel, handle, reach, grasp and perform repetitive motions.
- Work is subject to frequent interruptions making continuity and accuracy difficult, frequent exposure to noise.
All job opportunities at Snowbird Ski & Summer Resort require the ability to comply with our Professional Appearance, Drug & Alcohol, and Employee Conduct Policies.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.