Fountain-Ft. Carson School District Eight
Job Title: Plumbing/Heating
Reports To: Maintenance Manager
Pay Schedule/Grade: Classified / Grade 9
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Prepared/Revised Date: January 29, 2016
Work Year: 261 days
SUMMARY: Under supervision, performs journey level plumbing maintenance, trouble-shooting, repair and/or renovation of buildings, facilities and equipment in one or more of the following areas: underground piping systems, building piping, fixtures, building equipment and controls. Inspects buildings, facilities and equipment to ascertain needed repairs and make recommendations/follow up to supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The frequency and percentage of time of duties may vary based on building assignment or department.
Job Tasks Descriptions
Performs journey level work in any or all of the following Categories:
- Underground piping Systems including but not limited to domestic water, sewer storm drains and other similar Systems; excavating, laying out joins or supports, protects and backfills as appropriate
- Building piping including but not limited to industrial and domestic water, sewer and other drain lines, air gas and vacuum lines, other piping systems typically installed at UCSD; laying out joins or supports, protects and finishes as appropriate
- Fixtures including but not limited to faucets, toilets, traps and drains water fountains and other similar devices
- Building equipment including but not limited to heaters, heat exchangers, pumps and other equipment and components connect to piping systems in buildings
- Controls including but not limited to meters, valves, regulators, safe devices and other components necessary to properly control liquid and gas systems
- Pipe and tubing joining including but not limited to silver brazing, Sc soldering, caulking, threading, compression joints, flaring and other methods common to the trade
- Pipe welding including electrical, heliarc, oxy-acetylene welding to jo and secure piping systems and related components.
- Maintains, repairs and installs building plumbing systems, components, fixtures and/or equipment in accordance with established work order maintenance schedules, service calls or specific assignments by supervise Performs work according to manufacturer's specifications, Departmental guidelines, trade practices, blueprints, shop drawings and schematics.
- Inspects buildings, facilities and equipment to ascertain required repairs a makes recommendations to supervisor.
- Reports discrepancies or necessary follow-ups to supervisor.
- Performs duties and responsibilities with view toward Department goals, energy conservation and support of academic, research and institutional goals.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, specifications, shop drawings, schematic manufacturers' specs, and other reference materials to determine appropriate job requirements and procedures.
- May be required to assist with maintaining files of utility and building systems diagrams generated from field investigation.
- Prepares and submits requisitions for materials required to complete assigned tasks. Plans work to ensure cost effective use of labor and materials.
Other Duties within these areas include, but is not limited to:
- Snow removal.
- Assist in completing all craft PM and maintenance programs and keep records up to date.
- Hardware repairs.
- Maintain yearly tool inventory.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent plus vocational school or technical training courses in a related area.
- Three to five years of progressive experience in a related trade resulting in journeyman level expertise.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
- Valid Colorado driver’s license.
- Journey Plumbing license preferred
- Criminal background check required for hire.
TECHNICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Thorough journey level knowledge and skill in one category of work; working knowledge and skills in additional categories.
- Journey level skill in maintenance and repair procedures including preventive maintenance, breakdown repair and trouble-shooting, construction, installation and fabrication techniques typical in trade; perform mathematical computations of trade.
- Knowledge of proper use and maintenance of hand and power tools related to job functions.
- Strong demonstrated ability to read and interpret blueprints and systems diagrams.
- Knowledge of building codes, rules and regulations.
- Physical ability to perform all job functions and duties. Ability to move through limited access spaces.
- Ability to observe and practice working habits and maintain security o buildings and systems.
- Ability to effectively work individually or in teams as well as with diverse groups.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally, in writing or electronically.
- Ability to work effectively in a service oriented environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
- Ability to follow through and carry out assignments.
- English language skills.
- Ability to promote and follow Board of Education policies, Superintendent Policies, and building and department procedures.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS & DIRECTION/GUIDANCE:
# of EMPLOYEES
This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS: The physical demands, work environment factors and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duty of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outdoor weather conditions; extreme heat; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
MENTAL FUNCTIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to compare, analyze, compute, compile, and evaluate. Occasionally required to instruct and use interpersonal skills.
Plumbing/Heating TechnicianPage 1 of 3