Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Under moderate supervision, this position is responsible for the handling of first party property claims including:
- investigating, evaluating, estimating and negotiating to ensure optimal claim resolution for personal or business claims of moderate severity and complexity.
- Handles claims and other functional work involving one or more lines of business other than property (i.e. auto, workers compensation, premium audit, underwriting) may be required.
- Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations.
- As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment.
- Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
- This job does not manage others
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Handles 1st party property claims of moderate severity and complexity as assigned.
- Completes field inspection of losses including accurate scope of damages, photographs, written estimates and/or computer assisted estimates.
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine coverage, damages and liability of first-party property damage claims (including but not limited to analyzing leases, contracts, by-laws and other relevant documents which may have an impact), damages, business interruption calculations and liability of first-party property claims under a variety of policies.
- Secures recorded or written statements as appropriate.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate, estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits and deductibles and work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Negotiates with multiple constituents, i.e.; contractors or insured's representatives and conveys claim settlements within authority limits.
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence.
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations in accordance with the Knowledge Guides.
- Maintains diary system, capturing all required data and documents claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all other internal and external customers/business partners.
- Recognizes when to refer claims to Travelers Special Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Identifies and refers claims with Major Case Unit exposure to the manager.
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Provides multi-line assistance in response to workforce management needs; including but not limited to claim handling for Auto, Workers Compensation, General Liability and other areas of the business as needed.
- May provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced claim professionals.
- May attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials, trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- CAT Duty
High School Diploma or GED required. A minimum of one year previous outside property claim handling experience or successful completion of Travelers Outside Claim Representative training program required. Valid driver's license required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelors Degree preferred. General knowledge of estimating system Xactimate preferred. Customer Service experience - preferred
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
nterpersonal and customer service skills - Advanced
Organizational and time management skills - Advanced
Ability to work independently - Intermediate
Judgment, analytical and decision making skills - Intermediate
Negotiation skills - Intermediate
Written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to convey and receive information effectively -Intermediate
Investigative skills - Intermediate
Ability to analyze and determine coverage - Intermediate
Analyze, and evaluate damages - Intermediate
Resolve claims within settlement authority - Intermediate
Environmental: Exposure to Excess Noise - Occasionally
Exposure to Dirt, Dust, Fumes, Smoke, Gases, Mold or Other Irritating Substances - Frequently
Exposure to Variable Weather Conditions - Continuously
Operate or work around moving machinery - Occasionally
Work Schedules Weekend work hours - Occasionally
Overnight work hours - Occasionally
Holiday work hours (Federal and religious) - Occasionally
Other: Travel - Occasionally Flexibility and willingness to work extended work day hours with intermittent weekend hours given volume of work with minimal notice given. Incumbents who fill this position will be subject to periodic post-hire criminal background checks while employed in this position. As a condition of acceptance for the position, selected candidates for this position will be required to electronically accept the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) Disclosure Statement and Authorization included in the online employment application. You may also be subsequently asked to accept similar FCRA authorizations periodically throughout your employment with the Company.
Operates standard office equipment - Continuously
Sitting (can stand at will) - Continuously
Standing - Continuously
Lifting items up to 36-50 pounds - Frequently
Climbing unprotected heights (ladder, rooftop, stairs, loading dock) - Frequently
Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key - Continuously
Working in a confined or restricted area - Frequently
Driving - Continuously
This position requires the individual to access and inspect all areas of a dwelling or structure, which is physically demanding requiring the ability to carry, set up and climb a ladder weighing approximately 38 to 49 pounds, walk on roofs, and enter tight spaces (such as attic staircases and entries, crawl spaces, etc.). While specific territory or day-to-day responsibilities may not require an individual to climb a ladder, the incumbent must be capable of safely climbing a ladder when deploying to a catastrophe which is a requirement of the position.
Licensing or Certificates
Valid passport preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.