Built on a culture of safety and integrity, NMS delivers award-winning, integrated support services to a variety of clients in food service, facilities management, camp services, security and hotel management in Alaska and the continental U.S. We are proud to serve not only our original oilfield clients, but also clients from federal, state and local governments, corporate facilities, healthcare institutions, schools and universities, manufacturing centers, and the transportation and telecommunications industry. Our clients have peace of mind knowing we are committed to delivering best-in-class service, and we bring creativity, technology and experience to every project. Our mission is to provide management and support services at a level of quality, value, safety and expertise beyond our clients’ expectations. At NMS, we expect our employees to fulfill that mission in every aspect of their work.
This Kitchen Helper position is responsible for maintaining sanitation standards, performing a variety of cleaning, maintenance, food preparation, stocking, and serving duties in a commercial kitchen, storeroom, dinning, and serving area in remote camp locations. All duties are to be performed in accordance with NMS' mission, vision, and values as well as company policies, practices, and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists cooks and others as needed and coordinates activities within a food service area
- Prepare food and cook vegetables, entrees, coffee, sauces, meats, etc.
- Maintains a variety of products at certain levels in preparation, serving, or storage areas including service machines
- Stocks various food service areas with various products and materials
- Cleans dishes, utensils, pots, pans etc. and places in assigned storage areas in an organized and orderly manner
- Washes objects by hand or with cleaning equipment
- Cleans, sweeps, wipes down, etc. all general dining, kitchen, or storage areas (in some cases), spike rooms, and equipment as well as all floors
- Assists with various periodically scheduled large cleaning projects.
- Removes garbage from assigned areas
- Sets up, breaks down, and cleans tables, snack bars, display cases, serving lines, etc.
- May occasionally prepare food or cook vegetables, entrees, coffee, sauces, meats, etc.
- May also be combined with other position duties
- Notify supervisor if safety and sanitation standards are not being met.
- Other duties that are pertinent to the department or unit’s success also may be assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- At least one (1) year of work experience in a commercial kitchen or documented vocational training sufficient to demonstrate a knowledge of industrial cleaning equipment, restaurant food preparation, and general commercial cleaning processes.
- Must have or obtain an Alaska Food Workers Card and/or ServSafe Certification upon hire.
- Must pass all pre-employment contract requirements which may include but are not limited to: hair follicle drug test,physical and fit for duty assessment and hearing test. Applicants not located near a testing facility are responsible for paying for travel to the nearest testing facility.
- Must be able to cooperate and work as part of a team with fellow employees, customers and clients.
- Must be able to make decisions in the moment with little to no supervision.
- Must be able to be on your feet for 12 hours per shift for the scheduled rotation.
- Must be able to live in dormitory style settings and meet cleanliness requirements of the remote camp.
- Contract requires employees to speak, understand, read and write English.
- Must meet and adhere to all safety guidelines and regulations set forth by the company and client.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Weather: Indoor/Outdoor. Frequently exposed to arctic conditions.
Noise level: Moderate to Loud
Description of environment: This is an industrial kitchen setting located in a remote camp.
Must constantly be able to stand, walk, climb, push, pull use hands and arms, stoop, kneel and crouch.
Travel: Must be able to travel by plane and/or bus to remote camps.
Physical requirements: Fit For Duty Test
- Lift: Lift 50 lbs. from floor to knuckle x 2
- Lift: Lift 50 lbs. from floor to waist x 2
- Lift: Lift 45 lbs. from floor to shoulders x 2
- Lift: Lift 45 lbs. from floor to crown x 2
- Stoop & Twist: Perform alternate cross over toe touches x 10 each side, self-paced but continuous.
- Kneel: Kneel on one knee and stand. Return to kneel on opposite knee. Repeat alternate kneeling sequence x 5 for each knee, self-paced but continuous.
- Squat Test: Functionally squat x 5, self-paced but continuous.
- Stairs: Climb up and down 10 steps x 6 for a total of 60 steps using one hand to grasp a railing for safety.
- Allow 30 second rest after climbing up and down each set of 30 steps, self-paced.
- Stairs & Carry: Climb up and down 10 steps x 6 for a total of 60 steps while carrying 10 lbs. in one hand and using the other hand to grasp a railing for safety, self-paced.
- Allow a 30 second rest period after climbing up and down 30 steps while carrying.
- All tests must be performed within a safe target heart rate determined by the contract requirements.
NMS Core Values
Safety guides our behavior.
Honesty and integrity govern our activities.
Commitments made will be fulfilled.
All individuals are treated with dignity and respect.
The environment will be protected and sustained.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Shareholder Preference
NMS is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran protected status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. NANA grants employment preference to shareholders of NANA and their spouses and descendants to the extent allowed by law.
It is NMS policy to conduct background checks, drug testing and a physical assessment, as applicable, once an offer has been accepted, in accordance with company and/or contract requirements.
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or via email. In order to appropriately assist you with an accommodation, we ask that you please specify the assistance needed in order to access our jobsite and post for a position. The dedicated email and telephonic options are listed below and are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance.
To request an accommodation by telephone, contact us at: 1-800-478-2000
To request an accommodation by email, contact us email@example.com