The Laboratory Assistant Supervisor manages, administrates, and coordinates activities of the phlebotomy area in the laboratory sites and/or the patient service centers, which may be staffed by receptionists and/or laboratory assistants. Counsels and disciplines staff under the direction of the Human Resources Department. Evaluates and conducts annual performance appraisals under the guidance of the lab manager.
Under general supervision of a Pathologist and other supervision, and in accordance with Company policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Performs all essential duties of the laboratory assistant and laboratory assistant, senior ensuring rigid attention to proper accessioning methods, priority status, and safety guidelines.
- Schedules staff and supervisor’s daily activities of assigned personnel
- Evaluates and conducts periodic performance appraisals in accordance with the Company guidelines and under the direction of the lab manager
- Maintains strict confidentiality in all situations and with all documentation
- Ensures staff compliance with confidentiality policies
- Routinely tests department’s competency
- Works with lab manager on establishing procedures and maintains the procedure manuals to comply with accreditation and regulatory standards
- Participates in continual TQM activities
- Trains and orients assigned employees
- Studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency of subordinates
- Maintains harmony among workers and resolves grievances with the assistance of the lab manager or human resources. Provides counsel to subordinates regarding work or non-work related issues under the direction of the Human Resources Department
- Performs or assists subordinates in performing duties
- Maintains consistent service and productivity in an unpredictable workload environment
- May establish procedures and maintain the support services area under the direction of the lab manager
- May provide direction and make decisions concerning support services situations
- Maintains open communication with medical technologists, pathologists, manager and staff to ensure optimal operations
- Troubleshoots/maintains instrumentation, computers or printers as required.
- May be assigned to other locations as required
- Adheres to safety, confidentiality, compliance, and legal requirements
- Must have reliable and consistent attendance and comply with Company guidelines on attendance
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Light to moderate physical effort
- Occasional carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects; and lifting of up to 50 lbs may be required
- Frequent reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Must be able to hear, see, and respond adequately
- Frequent prolonged standing, walking, sitting, and bending over
- Use of hands and fingers
- Air conditioned laboratory environment
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals
- Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning), bio-hazardous body fluids, and occasional hazardous chemicals
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction
- May be asked to work extended hours
- Perceive pertinent details and verbal or tabular material
- Ability to see things from the customer’s/patient’s point of view and respond in a timely appropriate and courteous manner
- Handle emergency situations with calmness and professionalism
- Ability to work effectively with others and promotes positive working relationships
- Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them and their effective use
- Understand instructions, reason, and make judgments
- Delegate work assignments
- CUSTOMER-FOCUSED: Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- COMMUNICATOR: Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions to difficult challenges.
- COLLABORATIVE: Works effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- TECHNICALLY COMPETENT: Possesses and maintains the functional and technical knowledge and skills to successfully perform job.
- QUALITY CONSCIOUS: Delivers accuracy and precision in work products; mindful of technical requirements, rules, and standards.
- TIME-WISE: Prioritizes; respects others’ time; adheres to schedules and agendas.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP/Pan Pacific Pathologists, LLC takes affirmative action in support of its policy to and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.