Legal Assistant 2 at Washington State
**_* Effective 1/1/19 the salary range for this position will increase to $2,963 - 3,849 per month._**
The Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals (BIIA) is offering a challenging and rewarding opportunity for the right individual to make a difference through serving the state of Washington. Our people are our most valuable resource: energetic, innovative thinkers who care equally about producing quality work, serving the public, and developing a culture that is great for all our employees.
The BIIA is a medium-sized state agency under the administration of three, full-time Board Members. The BIIA is independent from the Department of Labor and Industries (L&I;) and hears appeals from decisions made by L&I; in several areas. The three principal types of appeals are:
* Industrial insurance (workers' compensation).
* Safety citations under the Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act (WISHA).
* Employer Premiums (Tax Assessment or Classification).
The BIIA is a great place to work! You can read employee testimonials on our website at http://www.biia.wa.gov/Jobs.html.
Under supervision of the Legal Administrative Manager, this position is the judicial assistant to Industrial Appeals Judges assisting them in the management of cases, conduct of judicial proceedings, and issuance of written orders and decisions. Duties include:
* Typing and proofing lengthy legal orders, forms, letters and memos.
* Date stamping, processing and distributing all incoming mail and faxes to the Seattle Office. Receiving and screening incoming mail and telephone calls for assigned judges.
* Assisting pro se claimants with general information of case status.
* Maintaining electronic case files and databases.
* Greeting and directing litigants, vendors, couriers, translators and others in person and by telephone.
High school diploma or equivalent _and_ two (2) years of experience in a legal environment in support of an attorney, administrative law judge(s), industrial insurance appeals judges(s), review judges(s) or equivalent.
One year as a Legal Assistant 1 (formerly Legal Support Trainee).
A two-year degree in Legal Secretary Studies, Paralegal Studies or related field _and_ one (1) year of legal office experience.
A bachelor's degree _and_ one (1) year of legal office experience.
**_Job Specific Competencies_:**
* Experience prioritizing and performing multiple tasks, handling interruptions appropriately and returning to incomplete tasks.
* Strong attention to detail.
* Ability to answer multiple-line telephone.
* Ability to work with diverse internal and external clients within a fast-paced professional office environment.
* Knowledge of medical terminology.
**_BIIA Core Competencies_:**
* _Customer Focus_ - Builds and maintains internal and external customer satisfaction with the services offered by the organization.
* _Relationship Building_ - Builds constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of teamwork, cooperation and mutual regard.
* _Ethics and Integrity_ - Earns trust, respect, and confidence of coworkers and customers through honesty, candor, and professionalism in all interactions.
* _Adaptability to Changing Needs/Flexibility_ - Embraces changing business needs and adapts approach, goals, and methods to achieve success.
* _Accountability_ - Takes responsibility for own actions and can be relied upon to achieve excellent results with little oversight.
* _Effective Respectful Communications_ - In a respectful manner, conveys clear messages that are effective in communicating information and ideas with others.
* _Safety Focus_ - Adhere to all workplace safety laws, regulations, standards and practices.
* This position is eligible for an ORCA Card and a $75 monthly parking allowance.
* The work schedule is Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm.
* Minimal travel is required to attend meetings and training.
* This position is included in the bargaining unit represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees.
**_APPLICATION PROCESS_:**To be considered for this position, you _must_ submit the following with your online application:
* A cover letter addressing the qualifications for this position
* A current resume
* A list of _at least three_ professional references
The cover letter and resume must be included using the Add Attachment(s) field (please do not use the text resume within the online application). **If you do not include all of the required information by the closing date, your application will not be considered.** If you need assistance, please contact the BIIA Human Resources Office (360) 753-9639_._
*The Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam-era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources Office at 360-753-9639 or*_HROffice@biia.wa.gov_.__
*Salary:* $2,905.00 - $3,774.00 Monthly
*Location:* King County - Seattle – Belltown, WA
*Job Type:* Full Time - Permanent
*Department:* Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals
*Job Number:* 2018 November LA2 - Seattle
*Closing:* 11/25/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
*Agency:* State of Washington
*Address:* View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
*Phone:* View Posting for Agency Contact