As the only county in the United States named after Martin Luther King Jr, one of the most influential civil rights leaders in our nations' history, King County
is a vibrant community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the artistic and social traditions of many cultures. Together, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence.
We continue to build on an enduring legacy of shared values of equity and social justice, employee engagement, innovative thinking and continuous improvement. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda aimed at advancing regional change and is developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all of our residents, regardless of their race or income. All of these qualities make this King County one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Family Nurse Practitioner; Kent Phoenix Academy School Based Health Clinic (SBHC) located at 11000 SE 264th St, Kent 98030. This is a non-exempt, Career Service, 0.6 or 0.8 fte position with a scheduled work day of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This NP is part of a clinic team which includes a mental health provider and clerical support. The SBHC NP provides clinical care independently without assistance from a medical assistant or registered nurse.
During school closure days, the clinic is also closed and school-based health clinic staff do not work on site. During these school closures this NP may be assigned to the float pool covering staffing needs at multiple sites throughout King County. Hours may vary slightly based on site needs.
Knowledge of pediatric and adolescent health and experience working with ages 8-19 years is required. Nurse Practitioners (NP) integrate knowledge and data from many scientific frameworks to provide holistic health care to individuals. These health care components include assessment, diagnosis, prescription of medications and other treatments, client education and referrals for other services. Examples of Duties:
- Obtain health history through client/family interview and chart review. Assess presenting illness and risk factors, family health history, review of systems, psychosocial/developmental histories and cultural information.
- Perform appropriate physical examination and assessment.
- Order and/or perform appropriate diagnostic and screening tests and collect additional data for evaluation of illness/wellness.
- Develop differential diagnosis and risk identification through assessment and interpretation of data.
- Provide managed client care by developing and implementing individual treatment plan: prescribe/dispense medication; consult with Physicians when indicated; provide appropriate referrals and ensure education, counseling and case management follow-up with other professional and community agencies.
- Document clinical care provided in electronic health record (EPIC).
- Ensure quality of professional practice by practicing within professional, legal and ethical standards and by participating in and providing continuing education, peer review, chart review, development of practice guidelines and community work.
- Provide leadership and collaboration within health care team to ensure quality patient care.
- Provide patient care coordination with mental health provider and students' primary care provider as appropriate.
- Provide training, orientation and education to staff, clients and students.
- Participate in quality assurance activities to demonstrate compliance with standards, laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Act as consultant to health care team, other staff and the community including advocating for patients.
- Provides the full range of medically appropriate services as an independent health care provider (in area of specialty) based on PH-SKC clinical practice and CDC guidelines and Family Planning Title X.
- Provides HIV/AIDS screening.
- Provides family planning / STD assessment, diagnosis and treatment to male & female adolescent clients. Performs pelvic exams; uses microscopy skills to diagnose STDs; prescribes and manages contraceptive methods including LARCs, emergency contraception; assesses pregnancy gestation, provides counseling and referrals for all pregnancy options, including carrying and keeping, adoption, and termination.
- Provides education on a variety of health topics to student groups in a classroom setting in collaboration with school staff.
- Works with other school based health clinic staff to promote the services of the SBHC in various venues on campus including the lunchroom and at student assemblies.
- Is responsible for maintaining and auditing SBHC pharmacy inventory per PHSKC protocols.
- Performs point of care labs, collects and packages specimens for off-site lab testing, and maintains lab documentation per PHSKC protocols.
Work Location & Hours:
- Thorough knowledge of advanced practice of nursing including: human systems, wellness/illness, growth and development, basic nutrition, behavioral, psycho-social and family systems, anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology and therapeutics and alternative treatment modalities, diagnostic testing and interpretation, diagnostic reasoning and clinical decision-making.
- Thorough knowledge of standards, policies and laws that govern professional practice.
- Thorough knowledge of health promotion, risk assessment and education techniques and principles.
- Thorough knowledge of health care system structure and function; community, professional and educational resources.
- Demonstrated ability in: physical assessment, communication (oral, written and use of information management systems and health care technology), medical records documentation, writing medical orders, time management, problem solving, crisis intervention, interviewing, analytical and critical thinking, leadership and case management.
- Demonstrated ability to consult, investigate, facilitate and present effectively.
- Demonstrated ability in initiating appropriate emergency response.
- Demonstrated ability in working with diverse cultural and socio-economic populations providing therapeutic client interventions and group dynamics.
- Demonstrated ability in handling a number of tasks simultaneously.
- Thorough knowledge of infectious disease management, control and safety standards as well as personal safety techniques and principles.
- Demonstrated ability to function independently while providing client care in the required specialty practice.
- Demonstrated ability to provide options counseling.
Kent Phoenix Academy School Based Health Clinic (SBHC) located at 11000 SE 264th St, Kent 98030. Working hours at School Based Health clinic are Monday, Tuesday, and Thursdays; 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. This position may be deployed to other sites and/or work outside of the stated hours in order to support operational needs. Desired Qualifications:
- Minimum of 2 years experience providing care
- Experience using EPIC
- Willingness to provide Float Pool support as needed.
For questions about current and upcoming positions, please contact Amy Curtis, Nurse Recruiter at (206) 263-8358 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Application Process:
Please note: Public Health- Seattle & King County values diverse perspectives and life experiences. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans. Requirements:
- Applications will be reviewed after the job posting closes. The following items are required to be considered for this vacancy
- NEOGOV/Government Jobs on-line or paper application
- Responses to Supplemental Questions
- License to practice in the State of Washington as a certified Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Washington State Registered Nurse license.
- Washington State license as an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (in good standing) with prescriptive authority.
- Completion of advanced practitioner training and board certification as a nurse practitioner within the specialty practice.
- Proof of Current BLS for Healthcare Provider Certification
- Washington State Drivers' License or the ability to provide transportation to work locations may be required.
- Must have a National Provider Identification (NPI) number prior to credentialing.
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration must be obtained prior to credentialing.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a care team and with a diverse and multi-cultural patient panel.
- The candidate must possess a valid Washington State driver's license or have the ability to travel throughout King County in a timely manner.
- Applicant must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite; applicant must be comfortable with use of electronic health records and be proficient with data entry using a keyboard.
- This selection process may include but is not limited to: evaluation of application materials and supplemental questions, testing and interviewing. For more information on our selection process, please refer to http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/jobs.aspx
- Public Health relies on office automation (Microsoft Office) and web-based enabled tools, therefore candidates must be proficient and comfortable with computer use to perform functions associated with on-going work.
- Regular and reliable attendance, effective communication skills, and development of effective working relationships are requirements of all Public Health positions.
- Staff may be required to play an active role in the event of a public health emergency, which may include changes in responsibilities and working hours.
- The selected candidate will be required to pass a thorough background investigation.
- Employees are required to protect the privacy and security of protected health information as defined in State and Federal Law.
- Employees are required to adhere to OSHA/WISHA guidelines including but not limited to completing their mandatory trainings on time.
Washington State Nurses Association (WSNA)
Job Type: Career Service, Part Time, Std Wkly Hrs Vary
Location: Various Locations throughout King County, Washington, Washington
Agency: Public Health - Seattle and King County