Please note: These are permanent and non-permanent opportunities. Forks and Discovery Bay are non-permanent and Sekiu is permanent. The Opportunity:
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Olympic Region is seeking to fill three
Maintenance Technician 2 positions located in Discovery Bay
. These positions will be responsible for maintaining Washington State highways. To ensure the traveling public's safety, these positions will perform a variety of skilled labor including repairing roadways and roadway shoulders, performing snow and ice removal, establishing and maintaining culverts and catch basins, removing debris, maintaining roadside vegetation, and providing traffic control for these operations. If you are dedicated to protecting the public from driving hazards and enjoy maintenance work, consider applying to this position. At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: These positions will perform the following work:
An ideal candidate will have:
- Operate miscellaneous power and non-power tools.
- Maintain roadways, including ditching, patching, and hauling materials.
- Winter snow and ice removal.
- Repair or replace guardrail, attenuators, fencing and gates.
- Assist in layout and set-up of traffic control, including setting up signage, manually flagging traffic, and operating attenuator/buffer truck.
- Effectively use radio and phone equipment to communicate with other crew members and lead technician.
- Maintain roadway features such as guardrail, signs or reflective features.
- Safely operate Class A, B and C equipment up to 54,000 Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) with various maintenance attachments.
- Negotiate rough and steep surfaces during the performance of job tasks.
- Chemically, manually, and mechanically control vegetation.
- Highway debris removal, including danger tree removal.
- Visibly demonstrate your commitment to the Department's safety program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Condition of Employment:
- At least two (2) years of experience performing roadway maintenance, heavy equipment operation, truck driving, traffic control, construction, timber operations, or landscaping.
- At least two (2) years of experience operating and performing preventative maintenance with vehicles 15,000 GVW or greater.
- A valid Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with N endorsement without air brake restriction with experience operating equipment.
- High school diploma or GED.
- A valid Traffic Control Flagger Card.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a WSDA Pesticide Applicator License within one year of employment.
- Basic computer skills to communicate and retrieve information.
- The ability and willingness to work different and/or extended shifts, days, nights and weekends, holiday, and perform emergency call-out/standby.
- Ability to move and transport up to 50 pounds.
- The ability to work in various types of terrain, in close proximity of fast-moving traffic.
- Communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- The ability to report in service to assigned duty station within 1 hour for after-hours call or be willing to relocate in order to meet this requirement.
- Experience in a Highway Maintenance program is desired.
WSDOT is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to
. How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically
. Please select the large
apply button at the top of this announcement. You may need to create an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to provide specific information detailing your work history in the "work experience" section of the application AND
answer the supplemental questions. If you are selected for an interview, you may be required to provide your driving record from the
. Contact us:
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at 360-357-2665 or email to email@example.com
. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-OR-32584nm. WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit .
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Clallam County - Clallam Bay, Washington
Agency: Dept. of Transportation