Operates track switches, couples and uncouples cars and performs other duties associated with the movement of trains, cars and engines in rail yards and on the main railroad. Receives, relays, or acts upon oral, written, or radio instructions from dispatcher, yardmaster, or other personnel indicating the switch movement, placement, or delivery of railroad cars and/or a train.
- Conducts the movement of rail cars and train movements; signals crew member(s) for movement of the engine or train using lantern, hand and flag signals, or radio to indicate when to start, stop, and back-up or set and release air brakes.
- Observes, interprets, and relays arm, lantern, or radio signals and all other indications affecting movement of a train.
- Operates track switches (visually checks switch condition and direction) to change the direction of the engine or cars within yard limits or on the main railroad; may apply or release hand brakes to switch or perform other duties.
- Reads and understands the book of rules, timetables, bulletins, train orders, waybills, placards, safety instructions, and other written or printed material.
- Prepares required daily reports, switch lists (manually or with a computer), and fills out forms including train orders.
- Inspects the condition of the train and equipment in movement and while stationary.
- May couple air and electrical connections between locomotives when making up trains.
- Understanding oral communications.
- Recognizing sounds or changes in sounds
- Recognizing colors
- Understanding printed and written information
- Making oneself understood orally
- Judging speed and distance of moving objects or parts
- Understanding visual displays
- Taking actions and making decisions affecting the security and well being of others
- Recalling information required from work activity
- Climbing and balancing
- Judging condition or status of objects or parts
- Exercising physical strength and endurance
- Education Required or Equivalent Experience: High School Diploma or GED required;Associate's Degree preferred
- Two (2) years experience or equivalent training required; three(3) years experiencein a24/7 work environment with exposure to outside weather conditions preferred
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.