Skilled Nursing Licensed Practical Nurse – LPN Job Description
VALiNTRYhealth is seeking a Licensed Practical Nurse, LPN, needed to work a contract in a Skilled Nursing or Long Term Care facility.
Under supervision of a physician and/or Registered Nurse, the LPN will monitor and provide quality care for the physical and emotional needs of residents within the facility in compliance with nursing standards, federal, state and local government regulations and facility clinical standards of care.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Check residents early in the shift, make periodic assessments, report changes to appropriate personnel, make interventions and document in the medical record; continually assess resident care needs and apply findings to development of the Minimum Data Set, Resident Assessment protocols and interdisciplinary care plans for each resident.
• Participate in coordination and delivery of services with the physician, Registered Nurse and clinical management team; provide appropriate preventative, rehabilitative, and palliative nursing procedures according to the Plan of Care to achieve optimal resident health and quality of life; supervise and direct the care provided by CNAs.
• Implement Plan of Care to include checking resident’s vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, weight, etc.) and recording data in their health records; preparing, administering, and recording medications per physician orders and facility protocols; documenting therapeutic effects of medicines and observing residents for reactions to medications or treatments; administering vaccinations and other injections; providing wound care and dressing; assessing progress of healing; collecting samples and monitoring catheters, etc.
• Provide assistance and training to residents with ADLs which includes medication management, dietary management, personal hygiene and other skills necessary for independent living when applicable; ensure their safety and comfort needs are met.
• Record observations completely, accurately, legibly and concisely; obtain pertinent information from residents and family members as part of ongoing data collection (i.e., discharge needs, ADL status, progress of resident problems, etc.); provide accurate and timely medical documentation consistent with Plan of Care to include writing OASIS assessments as appropriate.
• Prepare clinical and progress notes, submitting all required paperwork daily.
• Report any change in resident’s condition to include hospitalizations, discharges and physician appointments and/or changes in family status to the physician, RN or Patient Care Coordinator immediately; participate in adaptation of established Plan of Care based on day to day changes in resident needs.
• Oversee and implement the self-administered medication management program for residents; administer medication and/or treatment to residents in accordance with RN and physician orders.
• Conform to pharmacy policies to include: maintenance of accurate narcotic book documentation and account, drug security, and syringe count; follow other established pharmacy policies and procedures.
• Coordinate with other service providers like social workers and physicians to ensure the resident receives the necessary medical services.
• Communicate and interact with residents, families and others in a caring, empathetic, courteous and respectful manner; assess and provide residents and family caregivers with education and information pertinent to the diagnosis and Plan of Care; identify learning needs of residents and family caregivers.
• Educate residents on healthy lifestyle habits; encourage residents to stop unhealthy habits; assist residents in learning self-care activities including administering their own medication when possible.
• Ability to initiate emergency protocols in response to resident situations.
• Maintain competence level, professional and technical knowledge by participating in educational workshops and in-service programs, reviewing professional publications, etc.
• Attend staff meetings and in-services as required.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements
• Minimum 1 year of nursing experience, preferably in a skilled nursing facility, long term care facility or assisted living facility.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
• Ability to provide culturally competent care with a strong focus on resident service, follow physician orders, and properly document medical information.
• Excellent observation, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; effective clinical problem-solving skills; compassionate, patient, and possess an ability to motivate residents.
• Familiar with computers and handheld devices; experience with electronic records a plus.
• Must adhere to HIPAA guidelines and maintain confidentiality regarding resident and facility proprietary information.
• Be in good physical and emotional condition with an ability to properly care for residents.
• Ability to pass an extensive background check including drug testing.
• Ability to accept assignments immediately!
• Must be able and willing to drive/use own vehicle.
• Graduate of an accredited practical nursing program.
• Current and unrestricted license as a Licensed Practical Nurse in state of practice.
• Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification (with AED); current CPR card – hands on required.
• Valid driver’s license and automobile liability insurance.
VALiNTRYhealth Unique Characteristics:
VALiNTRYhealth is a servant-leadership managed, healthcare organization, with collective experience placing over 10,000 clinical professionals in more than 40 states. We manage our business with a servant-leadership philosophy by ensuring that everything we do in our organization first supports and enriches our patients, clinicians and clients; which ultimately enhances the lives of every individual we serve and work with every day.
• VALiNTRYhealth is a Values-based company; we live by our values – Trust & Integrity, People Service, Teamwork, Innovation, Accountability and Transparency.
• VALiNTRYhealth has a Single Point of Contact for you - you will not go from person to person.
• VALiNTRYhealth is a National company.
• VALiNTRYhealth has 100% online easy, hiring process – less than 60-minute completion time.
• VALiNTRYhealth provides comprehensive benefits.
• VALiNTRYhealth has a Weekly Pay Cycle – Direct Deposit.
• VALiNTRYhealth offers Travel Housing Stipends / Meal Stipends.