Operating Room Technician at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center
- Job Type
- Part Time, Employee
- Southwestern Vermont Medical Center
Serves patients by maintaining the sterile field in the operating room; helping the surgical team.
* Prepares for surgical procedures by setting up the operating room; organizing sterile table with surgical instruments and equipment, sterile linens, and sterile solutions.
* Keeps equipment operating by checking and adjusting sterilizers, lights, suction machines, electrosurgical units, and diagnostic equipment.
* Keeps supplies ready by maintaining fluids, such as plasma, saline, blood, and glucose for use during surgery.
* Prepares patients for surgery by washing, shaving, and disinfecting incision sites; transporting patients; positioning patients on table; covering patients with sterile surgical drapes.
* Anticipates the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments; providing sterile items; holding retractors, cutting sutures, and applying dressings.
* Safeguards surgical specimens by preparing, caring for, and routing to laboratory.
* Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; participating in professional organizations.
* Enhances surgery department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
* Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and JCAHO standards.
Surgical Experience, Infection Control, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Bedside Manner, Emotional Control, Organization, Medical Teamwork, Thoroughness, Quality Focus, Analyzing Information, Informing Others