Wayfair.com is growing rapidly and we're looking for people who are excited to help us grow our distributed systems platforms. As a member of the Distributed Systems team you will be empowered to design solutions to hard problems that help accelerate development, taking ownership of mission critical infrastructure, driving adoption of new technologies and tools, and architecting scalable systems, both on-premises and in the cloud, serving our customers and engineers alike.
With this team's broad reach, you will have the opportunity to touch multiple systems and code bases, work with cutting-edge technologies, and contribute to our architectural vision. Wayfair's continued success and our continuous deployment model means that things are always changing, and we're looking to find the right person to help optimize our platforms to support that growth.
What we're looking for and expectations:
What the Distributed Systems team does
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or a related degree required
- Scripting experience (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- Systems configuration experience (we're using Puppet)
- Proven ability to engineer complex solutions for scaling environments
- Debugging, Monitoring, Configuring, Tuning of application/platform stacks
- Seek ways to make a positive impact to the business
- Prior experience with Elasticsearch is nice to have (if you are an inquisitive engineer who has an interest in systems and development and who likes hard puzzles, let's talk)
Nice to haves:
- Support mission critical infrastructure involving a variety of Big Data, Time Series, Logging, Enterprise Data Warehousing, Messaging and Streaming technologies like Apache Hadoop, Elastisearch, Apache Storm, RabbitMQ, Apache Flink, Apache Kafka, HP Vertica
- Provides architectural guidance for tough engineering problems across both software and systems
- Collaborates with our software and infrastructure teams to design and build scalable web platforms serving millions of customers
- Identifies and remove engineering bottlenecks - in systems, software, tools, and processes
- Develops both software and systems solutions utilizing a number of technologies (Python, Java, C++, SQL, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Graphite, StatsD).
- Drives development standards and best practices across the engineering organization
- Demonstrated success driving improvements to development processes
- Active participation in local engineering meetups
- Comprehensive understanding of continuous development (concepts and systems)
- Experience with cloud platforms
Wayfair is one of the world's largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we're reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you're looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you'll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We're a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair - and world - for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.